Jan 16: Turn that heating down...

Something that most of us do each day, particularly during these winter months, is to turn on the central heating, or light the wood-burner, or do something else to keep our home warm - including putting on a jumper I hope in the first instance rather than reaching for the thermostat. One quotidian act in my own house is to turn down the thermostat my wife has just turned up... the battle is real.

We sometimes have an idea of how much energy we are using. 
As a boy, we had a lot of coal fires, as my grandfather was a coal miner and received a generous coal allowance. A scuttle of coal was in some ways a measure of how fast fuel was being used: how long would it last before it was time to head out to the coal bunker again?
There are now schemes in place to try to encourage us to use less energy, or switch to sustainable fuels, or insulate our homes, and the Government has also been pushing out smart meters to homes, although I'm yet to be involved in that.
I live in a village which has no gas, so most central heating is oil fired. 

Oil is not the most environmentally friendly of fuels, but I can pay around £7 a tank to have the costs offset.

GridWatch is an excellent website which I've used in teaching for some years now, and introduced my colleagues to as well.
It's had a bit of an update recently, and now has a range of useful information on the UK's energy usage and energy mix...

Comments